What are the needs in ELA & Literacy according to the Writing Focus document?
- Common theme of time needed for ELA is found across multiple grade levels.
- Looking at justification for modules and core knowledge versus workshop model or something else.
- Continuity seems to be missing among the grade levels.
- Time for journal or free writing is missing in most grade levels.
- Common model of writing for all grade levels.
- Have other members of the school help assist in the writing process (upper grade level students, NHS students, adopt a team, interact team,....)
- Consistent spelling and grammar curriculum
- Time set aside during staff development days to collaborate across grade levels and/or work as a grade level on literacy goals and planning
- Support during reading block to allow for small group work
What should our goals for the district be?
- As a whole, could we set aside 20-40 minutes (depending on grade level) to do creative writing or writing about reading?
- Look at our scope and sequence
- Develop a common vocabulary
- Coordinate reading and writing workshops and genres.